The Internal Medicine-Pediatrics Residency Program at Marshall University is based at the Marshall University Medical Center in Huntington, West Virginia. Marshall University School of medicine has been rated as "highly positive" in both academic atmosphere and family life, according to a nationwide survey conducted by State University of New York. This rating was based upon grant support, publications, teaching, tenure, productivity, low crime rate, child care and school systems.
Since its establishment in 1976, Joan C. Edwards School of Medicine at Marshall University has been a nontraditional, community-integrated school working with community partners to help fulfill its mission to provide excellence in medical education, research and patient care. The school has placed special emphases on its goals of training primary care physicians and developing programs to help the state's underserved rural communities.
||3 weeks paid vacation
- Malpractice: Provided by the State of West Virginia's "Comprehensive Liability Insurance Policy"
- Group Term Life : One and one-quarter percent ( 1 1/4 % )of annualized stipend with a minimum of $50,000 plus a $10,000 basic life insurance policy for a total of at least $60,000. Additional life insurance can also be purchased for the resident/fellow and their dependents.
- Health: Variety of plans/costs ranging from $85/month to $520/month depending upon coverage and tobacco use status
- Flexible Benefits: Dental/Vision. All are pre-tax dollars.
- Social Security: Employee and Employer pay social security taxes. International medical graduates who provide a copy of his/her J-1 Visa to administration will be exempt from social security taxes
- Workers' Compensation: Coverage is provided.
- Long Term Disability Insurance: Provided to resident at no charge.
||Residents accrue 15 days of sick leave annually.
||On - call meals are provided by the hospital
||PGY I: $500.00 annually
PGY II - PGY V: $1,000 annually
PGY I: $52,000
PGY II: $53,000
PGY III: $54,000
PGY IV: $55,000
PGY V: $56,000
Plus a $2,000 Signing Bonus for Categorical Positions NRMP Matched
- Retirement: Residents can contribute to retirement plan however it is not matched by the company.
- Marshall Rec Center membership with optional discounted rate for spouse.
- Discounted laundry rate at White Way Cleaners ($8 per white lab coat).
Each Resident will receive the most current editions of:
- Nelson's Textbook of Pediatrics
- Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine
- Harriett Lane Handbook
- Zitelli's Atlas of Physical Diagnosis
- Smith's Recognizable Pattern of Human Malformations
In addition, each PGY-1 resident receives $500 and all other levels, $1,000 per year for additional books and other educational resources or activities approved by the department.
Additional benefits include:
- Annual subscription to PREP (Pediatrics in Review) with PREP questions
- Online access to Up-to-Date
- 2 new lab coats the first year; 1 new lab coat every year thereafter (embroidered)
- American Academy of Pediatrics
- American College of Physicians
Printable Sample Schedule (PDF)
Please visit the following websites for more information on our community:
Cabell-Huntington Convention & Visitors Bureau
Huntington Regional Chamber of Commerce
Marshall University Community Information