Thank you for your interest in the Marshall University Joan C. Edwards School of Medicine Visiting Student Program. At JCESOM, we are pleased to offer a limited number of clinical electives to both domestic and international medical students who meet our institutional and departmental requirements.
For questions about available electives or this process, please email email@example.com and a member of our team will get back to you.
Domestic students with access to the AAMC VSLO portal should make applications through VSLO.
International students regardless of access to the AAMC VSLO portal will need to make applications using our online process noted below in the Non-VSLO Applicants section.
For your consideration…
- If you are interested in a Surgical elective, our Department of Surgery does not currently accept visiting students.
- If you are interested in an Obstetrics & Gynecology or Family Medicine elective, these departments do not accept students from international or non-LCME accredited schools.
If you are enrolled in an institution that does not participate in the AAMC VSLO program or you are enrolled in an international medical school, please click here to apply.
- Applications will be accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis however, applications must be submitted no less than 90 days prior to the requested start date. If you are applying for the Internal Medicine Sub-Internship at our VAMC Affiliate, you must submit your application no less than 150 days prior to the requested start date.
Before applying, please read carefully.
- At the beginning of the application, you will be asked to supply a school contact person who is responsible for completing a section of your application. This person is someone from the institution in which you are enrolled as a medical student.
- You must review the course catalog and request actual courses, not departments.
- Required fields are required…blank documents or empty fields will not be accepted.
- Exceptions include Malpractice Insurance and Personal Health Insurance; those documents will only be required if you are accepted and approved for a clinical elective experience.
- Any application submitted without a USMLE STEP 1 Passing Score Report, will automatically be denied.
Any application submitted with incomplete data, missing documentation, or not signed off by a school official may be rejected without notice.
Application Documentation Requested:
- AAMC Visiting Persons Immunization Form.
- Background Check completed within 1 year of application.
- For instructions on how to complete the required background check, please click here.
- 10 Panel Drug Screen
- Must include Amphetamines (including Amphetamine & Methamphetamine); Barbiturates; Benzodiazepines; Cannabinoids; Cocaine; Opiates (including Codeine, Morphine, Hydromorphone, and Hydrocodone); Oxycodone/Oxymorphone; Phencyclidine; Methadone and Propoxyphene.
- Must include Blood Titers (IgG Lab Value) verifying immunity for each of the following, Rubella (German Measles); Rubeola (Measles); Mumps; Varicella; HEP B; PPD (Mantoux, tine not accepted and must be less than one year); Tdap (must be less than 10 years); and Polio.
- Current season Influenza.
- COVID (including any boosters).
- Affiliate Hospital Documentation:
- If making an application to our Internal Medicine Sub-Internship, you will be required to rotate at our local Veterans Affairs Medical Center. The VAMC has a separate credentialing process and takes a minimum of 6 weeks to complete before the start of any rotation. (If you are an international student and do not have a US-issued social security #, you will not be able to rotate at the VAMC and must select an alternative elective).
- A member of our staff will provide you with the appropriate contact information to begin the credentialing process if approved.
Pre-Med Students Seeking Non-Elective Experience
For CHH Job Shadowing Program information, please visit http://cabellhuntington.org/employment/job-shadowing-program/. For more information, please click here.
Please contact the office of Graduate Medical Education http://jcesom.marshall.edu/residents-fellows/general-info/ or the Department you are interested in for more information.